To prepare the duck breast:
- Score the duck breast.
- Season both skin and flesh.
- Cook in a medium heat pan with no oil.
- Render all the fat down for about 4 minutes.
- Turn over the duck and cook for further 3 minutes while basting the fat with a spoon all the time.
- Rest for 5 minutes.
- Place in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Cut both edges off lengthways.
- Cut the duck breast in half.
To prepare beetroot tartare puree:
- Individually salt and wrap 3 large beetroots (200g) in baking paper and foil.
- Cook at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or until really soft. In a Vitamix or bar blender, blend until fine.
- Season with salt and add 80g of the Port Mahon Tartare sauce.
- Pulse until fully combined.
To prepare the baby beetroots:
- Steam for 7 minutes.
- Peel and cool down.
To prepare the simple sugar syrup:
- Boil water and sugar together.
To prepare the pecans:
- Blanch the pecans for 30 seconds.
- Pat dry.
- Cook in simple sugar syrup for 4 minutes.
- Take out and deep fry until caramelised.
- Crush in a mortar and pestle.
To prepare the BBQ onions:
- Cut the onions in half lengthways.
- Sear in a hot pan with the skin on until black.
- Cook for 3 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Peel the petals into individual leaves.
To prepare golden beetroots:
- Shave thinly and pickle for 24 hours.
To prepare candied striped beetroot:
- Slice thinly.
- Cut into 3cm rings with a ring cutter.
- Cut the rings with a 2cm cutter.
- Keep both the loop and the edge for garnish.
- Freshen up in ice cold water.
- Scatter beetroot leaves artfully over plate.
- Plate up as per picture.